Village Board Member
I was elected on March 18, 2008 to a four-year term on the Village of Monticello Board of Trustees, the first elected Latina to have the honor of serving the people of Monticello in this capacity, and re-elected March 20, 2012 to a second term. The Village Board consists of five members, each of whom have one equal vote. The board sets policy for the Village in the best interest of the entire community. If you have questions or comments about Monticello's government, you are invited to contact any member of the Board, or call Village Hall.
- 2008 - pres - Village Trustee, Monticello, New York.
Other activities in which I have engaged include the following:
- Community Liaison, Village of Monticello Police Department [link]
- Community Liaison, Sullivan County Sheriff’s Department [link]
- Chairperson, Village of Monticello Commission on Human Rights [link]
- Co-founder/Incorporator, Habitat for Humanity of Sullivan Co. [link]
- Disaster Volunteer, American Red Cross of Sullivan County link
- Board of Directors representing the Town of Thompson, Community Action Commission to Help the Economy [link]
- Treasurer, Upper Delaware Unitarian Universalist Fellowship [link]
- Board Member, The River School [link]
- Sullivan DSS "Independent Living Jamboree", Frost Valley YMCA [link]
- Assistant Coach, Monticello Little League [link]
- Fund-raising for Sullivan County United Way [link]
- Fund-raising for The Salvation Army [link]
- Fund-raising for Sullivan County Federation for the Homeless [link]
- Fund-raising for Sullivan County Alternatives to Family Violence [link]
I am a member of the Town of Thompson Democratic Committee, and am the office manager for Choices Mental Health Counseling, PLLC on central Broadway in Monticello.
I have worked with disabled children, interpreted for courts and probation, and done customer service work at local hotels. I have lived in Monticello for over 35 years. I understand the concerns of small business owners. It is my goal to be respectful of the public, to work together in good faith with property-owners, tenants, and with other local officials in positive ways for community growth, to always be willing to listen to your concerns, and to do my best for the Village and for you.
- June to September 2000 - Middletown NY School of Beauty, Diploma in Nail Technology [link], Learned nail technology in Peru before coming to USA in 1969, licensed in New York State since 2001
- 1968 - Universidad Nacional Federico Villarreal, Lima, Peru: Assistant Nurse [link] (equivalent to LPN, not licensed in USA)
- 1965 - Colegio Mixto San Gabriel (Institute #5), Callao, Peru
- 2010 - pres - Office manager, Choices Mental Health Counseling PLLC, Monticello.
- 1990 - 1995 - Teacher aid, Sullivan Diagnostic Treatment Center, Harris.
- 1988 - 1995 - Legal interpreter, self-employed, for courts, probation, attorneys.
- 1982 - 1990 - File clerk, Right Finishing Co., Monticello
- 1980 - 1982 - Day care, self-employed (eight children) in my home, Monticello
- 1978 - 1979 - File clerk, WVOS Radio, Monticello
- 1976 - 1977 - Cashier, Concord Resort Hotel, Kiamesha Lake
- 1974 - 1975 - Waitress, Laurels Hotel, Sackett Lake
- 1969 - 1973 - Hotel Clerk, American Hotel, East 86th Street, NYC
- 1967 - 1969 - Clerked for my uncle, Justice Napoleon Albarino Tudela of the Supreme Court of the Republic of Perú, while in college
- Workshop presenter/chaperon - Independent Living Jamboree (overnight event for youth, aged 14-18, in foster care and preventive services), Sullivan County Department of Social Services, Frost Valley YMCA Camp, Claryville: April 6-8, 1990, April 12-14, 1991, April 3-5, 1992, April 3-5, 1993, April 8-10, 1994
- 1988 - pres - Political action, vocal advocacy against corruption and in favor of open government; provide education, translation services for minority residents, help high school students apply for financial aid
- 1991 - pres - Disaster Volunteer: American Red Cross of Sullivan Co.
- 1994 - 2005 - Commissioner (4 years as Chair): Monticello Human Rights Commission
- 1995 - 1996 - Incorportor and Founding Board Member: Habitat for Humanity of Sullivan Co.
- 1991 - 1993 - Incorporator & Founding Board Member: The River School (parent-run Montessori elementary, formerly at Innisfree)
- 1990 - 1995 - Board Member: Innisfree Corporation (youth hostel, Milanville, Pa.)
- 1989 - 1994 - Treasurer & Executive Committee Member: Upper Delaware Unitarian Universalist Fellowship (formerly at Innisfree)
- 1988 - 1993 - Board Member, representing the Town of Thompson and previously United Way of Sullivan County : Community Action Commission to Help the Economy of Sullivan County
- 1987 - 1989 - Fund-raising: Alternatives to Family Violence of Sullivan Co.
- 1986 - 1988 - Fund-raising: United Way of Sullivan Co.
- 1986 - 1988 - Fund-raising: The Salvation Army
- 1985 - 1988 - Fund-raising: Sullivan Co. Federation for the Homeless
Personal and Family
- Earliest political activities were in Peru as a teenager. Close relatives held high office in the national government. Parents owned a successful funeral home in Callao.
- USA resident since May 1, 1969. Resident of Monticello, New York since 1973. Proud USA citizen since 1978 (filed own papers with INS without the aid of an attorney).
- Fluent in Spanish and English. Married to Tom Rue, licensed mental health and addictions counselor. Three children: Janesa Calone, biology teacher in Rockland Co.; Carolina Rue, successful business owner in Florida; and Eddie Rue, personal trainer in Monticello.
PO Box 706
Monticello, NY 12701
crue07 @ gmail.com